XIAMETER® Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) Fluids
XIAMETER polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) fluids are available in a broad range of viscosities and are used in a wide range of applications. Polydimethylsiloxane fluids are known in the beauty and personal care industry by their INCI name, “dimethicone.”
Very-low-viscosity (≤ 2 cSt) polydimethylsiloxane fluids are categorized as volatile methylsiloxanes (VMS). In the United States, VMS fluids are exempt from regulation as volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Features And Benefits
- Excellent water repellency
- Good dielectric properties over a wide range of temperatures and frequencies
- Low glass transition (Tg) temperature
- Low surface tension
- Heat stability
- Oxidation resistance
- Very low vapor pressure
- High flash point
- Inert, nonreactive
- Mechanical fluids
- Dielectric coolants
- Insulating and damping fluids for electrical and electronic equipment
- Release agents
- Foam control
- Surface active fluids
- Ingredients for cosmetic and personal care formulations, polishes and specialty chemical products
- Plastics additives
XIAMETER polydimethylsiloxane fluids are linear, siloxane polymers that vary in viscosity from very low to ultrahigh.
- From their siloxane backbone, PDMS fluids draw strength, stability and flexibility.
- From their attached methyl groups, PDMS fluids gain inertness, lubricity, release properties and water repellency.
Environment, Health And Safety
For general environmental fate and effects information, read An Overview of Polydimethylsiloxane Fluids in the Environment (PDF: 265 KB)
Learn why silicones are generally considered safe and environmentally responsible.