XIAMETER® Brand Organofunctional Silicone Fluids
XIAMETER organofunctional silicone fluids substitute some of the methyl groups on a silicone polymer with other functional groups. This adds organic benefits without losing the valuable properties associated with traditional dimethyl siloxanes. XIAMETER brand offers organofunctional silicones with alkylaryl, amino, amido and polyether functionalities.
Functionalities And Applications
Alkylaryl silicone fluids
- Add organic compatibility, paintability, substantivity and occlusivity and detackification
- Good thermal stability and organocompatibility – suitable for formulating paintable mold release agents for metals, plastics and rubbers
- Have also been used as “bridging agents” to facilitate the stabilization of silicone-based compositions and mineral oils
For additional information, download the Alkylmethyl and Alkylaryl Silicones fact sheet. (PDF size 160 KB)
View XIAMETER® brand alkylaryl-functional silicone fluids
Amino silicone fluids
- Mainly used in the preparation of textile finishes, as well as hair and automotive care products
- React with many organic polymer systems to improve substantivity to metals and coatings
- Crosslink with protein-based substrates, like hair, to create fast-drying films without buildup
- When used as a copolymer, allows manufacture of silicone polyesters and silicone urethanes
- Can readily form microemulsions that offer unique surface properties
For a more technical discussion, download the Amino Functional Silicone Polymers fact sheet. (PDF size 165 KB)
View XIAMETER® brand amino-functional silicone fluids.
Amido silicone fluids
- Many of the benefits of amino silicone fluids, but with less reactivity
- Add non-yellowing softness
- Add corrosion resistance
- Can participate in hydrogen bonding as hydrogen bond acceptors and donors, but do not ionize in aqueous solution
View XIAMETER® brand amido-functional silicone fluids.
Polyether silicone fluids
Polyethers are nonionic surfactants – “surface active agents.” The term generally refers to polymers like polyethylene glycol and polypropylene glycol.
Polyether silicone fluids:
- Add water solubility, water dispersability, emulsification and profoaming capabilities
- Improve slip, wetting and leveling
- Stabilize polyurethane foams
For a more technical discussion, download the Siloxylated Polyethers fact sheet. (PDF size 166 KB)
View XIAMETER® brand polyether-functional silicone fluids.
The organic groups on an organfunctional silicone polymer can be attached:
- Pendant to the siloxane backbone (“rake” functionality)
- At both ends of the siloxane polymer chain (ABA functionality)
- At one end of the chain (AB functionality)