XIAMETER® Brand Cyclosiloxane Fluids
XIAMETER cyclosiloxane fluids are low-viscosity, nonreactive, volatile silicone fluids. In the beauty and personal care industry, they are referred to by the general INCI name “cyclomethicone.”
Methylated cyclosiloxanes are categorized as volatile methylsiloxanes (VMS). In the United States, VMS fluids are exempt from regulation as volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Features And Benefits
XIAMETER cyclosiloxane fluids give you the features and benefits of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), but in a transient form.
- Compatible with a wide range of formulation ingredients
- Low surface tension
- Clear, tasteless, odorless and non-staining
- Speed spreading and wetting of hard-to-reach areas
- Can reduce or eliminate negative sensory effects of other ingredients; non-greasy, detackifying
- Non-stinging; low toxicity – non-sensitizing to skin and hair
- Evaporate completely at room temperature
- Mild solvency – can be used with other solvents/cleaners; better than organics for removing high-viscosity silicones; will not attack/degrade most plastics
- Soluble with non-polar organic solvents
- Excellent solvency with other silicones; better than organics for carrying silicone
- The ability to replace water, alcohol and ester
- Volatile carriers or delivery agents for a wide range of formulation ingredients
- General industrial cleaning formulations
- Household care formulations, including furniture polishes, fabric cleaners and spot removers, carpet and upholstery cleaners, hard-surface cleaners
- As carriers for many types of oils, lubricants and silicone polymers, allowing formulators to replace or dilute VOC solvents to reduce the overall VOC impact
- In the formulation of beauty and personal care products to improve spreading, rubout and lubricity
Cyclosiloxanes are differentiated by the number of siloxane units in their ring.
- INCI name cyclotetrasiloxane (D4) – shown above
- INCI name cyclopentasiloxane (D5)
- INCI name cyclohexasiloxane (D6)
Environment, Health And Safety
For general environmental fate and effects information, read An Overview of Volatile Methylsiloxane Fluids in the Environment. (PDF: 266 KB)
Learn why silicones are generally considered safe and environmentally responsible.
For silicone fluid blends and specialty silicone fluids for personal care and other applications, plus application and development support, look to Dow Corning® brand. Explore Dow Corning® fluids.