Silicone Sealant Application Tips
Ensure your customers’ projects perform for the long haul. Give them the application information they need to succeed.
Sealant Compatibility And Use Limitations
Keep these things in mind when advising customers how to use XIAMETER® brand sealants:
- Not for structural glazing
- Typically not paintable
- Not suited for prolonged submersion in water or below-grade applications
- May not adhere to oily woods or be compatible with substrates made of methylmethacrylate, polycarbonate, polypropylene, polyethylene or polytetrafluoroethylene
- Not suitable for surfaces that might bleed oils, plasticizers or solvents
- Sealants are room temperature vulcanizing, so moisture is needed for cure
- Not for use where abrasion and physical abuse can damage sealant
Additionally, remember the limitations on acetoxy sealants:
- Not suitable on porous surfaces such as cementlike materials, stone or surfaces prone to attack by weak acids
- May cause corrosion on some brass, copper, zinc or zinc alloy-containing fixtures (galvanized)
It is your responsibility to thoroughly test products in your specific applications to determine performance, efficacy and safety.